Electronic theory quizzes / how do you know what you don't know?

Hi,

Coming from electronics-lab which I actively post at as well. I have been dabbling in electronics for about 2 years now, and have done beginner kits and soldering and studied theory. But it's been sporadic and from many different sources, as I find the "kids electronics" projects just don't go into the depth I would like.

My question is, do you know of any good free electronic theory quizzes online, that will be able to point out which areas I'm weak at? Or, how can I find out what I don't know?

Cheers

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Electronics isnt just theory - its a practical ability as well. You might be excellent at the theory, but when it comes to building or repairing something, that is where you start learning. One can buy electronic magazines and see how designs are applied to perform a function (this will prove to be one of many ways to solve a problem), sometimes they make a thing too simple and sometimes its very complex.

Your abilities and knowlege will improve when you read and when you start building projects. I am at a stage now where I can design a circuit, make a PCB layout - build it and it will work the first time I switch it on. Sometimes it is not obvious how a part of the design will work, thats when you build that part up first and make it function according to requirements before making the layout.

I have got to a point where I make a PCB for multiple circuit diagrams, for instance a dual op amp board that can be used for 15 different circuits. The secret here is to have a printout of the layout of components for each application, these layouts have been very carefully made with a tried and tested circuit diagram. SOunds easy doesnt it? But there are extra holes for components for other configurations, and the components for a particular application have to fit into the designated places.

So you cannot buy or aquire experience by reading only you have to do some practical projects too.